Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rhema

Encounter is everything when it comes to growing in God. After all, what good is relationship without experience? We can't survive merely off of the written words in the Bible - the logos word - but off of how God makes those truths jump off the page and into our hearts. We must live off the rhema - the spoken word of God.

In Matthew 4, Jesus is in the wilderness being tempted by satan to turn some stones into bread. Jesus responds, "It is written, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." The Greek word for 'word' here is rhema.

For years I quoted that verse back at the enemy when I was being tempted. I would then quote scripture (logos) back at him about my identity in Christ. And it empowered me, but only to a certain degree. The thing is, unless we've heard the words coming directly from God (rhema) they only have so much staying power.

When Jesus was referring to 'every word that comes from the mouth of God,' he was referring to what God had spoken directly to Him. Just before Jesus had this encounter in the wilderness, God had spoken something directly to Him, something empowering, something about His identity. "As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.' At once the Spirit sent him out into the desert" (Mark 1:10-12).

Before Jesus had done anything in ministry (no miracles, no great accomplishments), God said to Him, "You are my son with whom i am well pleased!" How empowering is that! That is the rhema word that Jesus was talking about when He was being tempted! His power to resist temptation came from a very personal and intimate encounter with God. Not from simply quoting scripture back at the enemy.

In healing, knowing what the Word says will only get you so far. It takes encounter, a revelation straight from God's mouth into your heart, that carries the strength to get you through the tough times.

So go, lean into to Him. Be His child. You're a human being, not a human doing. Receive His rhema. It's food that will go down into your inmost parts and satisfy a longing that nothing else can.

1 comment:

  1. That is powerful Jessica! I'm grabbing hold of the truth that we are human beings, not human "doing". Ah, now I can breathe easy knowing the truth...BTW, I'm missing you like crazy already, but I know you're having a blast being free from responsibility with your hubby and that makes me so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete